Sunday, December 27, 2009

Day one of my challenge

Day one....
So, how do I learn to photograph? I am beginning to doubt myself already! But as the saying goes...You can do anything you want to do..if you want it bad enough...Do I want it bad enough..Yep! I do believe I do..
I have found a great resource on the web.
Digital Photography School
http://digital-photography-school.com/
Oh goodness, I couldn't believe I found this site. Articles galore!
They have weekly assignments on their forumn..
http://digital-photography-school.com/forum/digital-photography-assignments/
and..get this..even a 365 assignment on their flicer group!
http://www.flickr.com/groups/365_dps_assignment/
Best of all..all of it is 100% free!
So my first plan of attack is to partcipate in all the assigments..the weekly, and daily. I plan to read all the articles and learn, learn, learn!
I also went and purchased a tripod. Bear in mind..it's 2 days after Christmas and we are broke! Hubby spent all our money buying me the camera! :o) So I was bargain shopping! I know nothing about tripods..but I knew I wanted a sturdy one..lo and behold if my new camera were to fall! I found this!
Targus TGT-66TR 66" Tripod
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2668958

It was regularly $39.99 and on sale for 29.00. I got it home, hubby set it up and I believe it is sturdy enough, the pan is nice..and I do believe I'm happy with my very first tripod!
Now I know that as I progress I am going to need a better one. But just starting out I'm hoping this will do the trick.


I also spent 3 hours at Borders yesterday going through photography books trying to decide on the best one.
I finally choose Canon EOS Rebel Sxi/450D Digital Field Guide by Charlotte K. Lowrie.
http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Rebel-Digital-Field-Guide/dp/047038087X


When I got it home I realized that it didn't go enough in detail about ISO and Aperture for me to understand the concepts.
It is a great book for learning the in and outs of the Canon Rebel (which I need to do!) ..not so much for learning photography.
If anyone has a great book to recommend that will teach me what the heck ISO and Aperture is and how to use it..I would love to hear about it!
I learn more by doing..not reading and I think today I'll play with my camera and just hope I don't mess up the settings to bad! I'll never learn anything if I don't jump in..right?

2 comments:

  1. Other good books - Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson and a bunch other by him as well. Check out youtube videos searching on areas of interest. Bryan Peterson has some wonderful (free) videos to help you better understand how appeture and shutter speed impact an image. Just about anything you want can be found on a youtube video - just search for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Especially Bryan Peterson's Understanding Photography Field Guide: great for "understanding photography"...

    ReplyDelete